Sunday, May 11, 2008

Balcony Garden


I've started working in my garden on our 9x5' balcony. Mom and I had taken a trip down to Wareham to Morse's nursery in order to pick up some plants. I planted petunias, phlox, a tomato plant and basil. At Morse's I also spotted in the clearance shelves two small wooden cranberry scoops. Matt & I had tiny cranberry scoops as our wedding favors, and I love the aesthetic look of them, so I bought them, and have to decide what type of flower arrangement to fill them with!

Last year I had purchased seedum, a perennial which was still thriving this year - it survived the cold winter. I moved it to a larger pot for this year to give it room to grow. Another plant to survive from last year from my little herb pots were the chives, which (as you can see) are taking over! They will garnish some delicious mashed potatoes this year! I'm planting some nasturtium seeds into one of my hanging containers on the trellis, which should spill over nicely. There's still quite a few empty pots to fill - the Hanover Garden club is holding their plant sale in early June (although I am certain to go and buy some more flowers before then - and definitely some gerber daisies, one of my favorites!). This year we are also buying some comfy chairs and cushions for the balcony, to make it more of a gathering spot - or book reading spot.

And while I fantasize about my big garden when we have a house (and Matt adds his plans for architectural features like rock walls and water features), its still fun and relaxing to kneel out on the balcony, elbows deep in bags of potting soil, and looking out at the flowering trees nearby and beds of tulips near the sidewalk - as well as our little stream, a branch off of the Concord River.

1 comment:

Greta said...

I dream about having a garden one day myself!!