Monday, November 24, 2008

Snow day! Err, power-outage day!


I got into Boston today to discover that the subway station where I get off was in complete darkness, with a few bulbs illuminating the tunnel. As I walked outside, a group of businessmen ran down the tunnel, giddy with excitement, and grabbed a co-worker who was on his way to work by the elbow, shouting, "There's no power in the building! We have the day off!! Turn around and get back on that train!! It's like a snow day, only with no electricity!"

Cops were at the traffic lights, directing traffic, since the lights were off. I walked down the block to see if my building was effected, and saw our poor IT guy standing outside in the cold with a paper in his hands. Sure enough, we were affected too, so the building was closed for the day (but our IT guy had to stand there for awhile to have everyone sign their names and numbers in case they needed to call if tomorrow the power was still out). So I caught the next train home and later saw the news that some fires in manholes shut down power in the Back Bay and near Boston Common.

But that meant a lovely day of Christmas shopping, lunch, grocery shopping for Thanksgiving goodies, and frolicking with my lovely soon-to-be-married-for-two-years-husband (who also heard good news today that he's up for a great job interview after the holiday!)

3 comments:

The Ohio 5 said...

I guess snow days or no power days or even no water days are wonderful no matter how old we get. I'm glad you enjoyed your day!

Happy Anniversary. I hope you and Matt have another great day today!

Love, Auntie

Her Harlequin said...

don't rub it in!

(I wish I was layed off with wonderful prospects for the future, laying around all day playing video games under the excuse of "sharpening my job skills". Some guys have all the luck!)

Suzannah said...

Snow days, even fake ones, are the best days!